The headphone output has an impedance of 30 Ohms.
The headphone and line outputs are always controlled simultaneously. To set the balance between headphones and speakers connected to the line outputs, set the speaker’s amplifier accordingly. It is possible to mute the headphones and line outputs independently.
It is normal for the OUT LED to flash when you shut down the Mac and leave the Duet connected to the FireWire port. If you would like to prevent the OUT LED from flashing, simply remove the FireWire cable from the Duet after shutting down your Mac.
To reset Duet, press and hold the encoder until all of the LEDs on the unit are lit. All settings will return to their factory default.
Here’s a video demonstrating this:
Duet/Duet 2 Comparison Chart
|Computer Connectivity||FireWire 400||USB 2.0 High Speed|
|Sound Quality||1st Generation||2nd Generation|
|Roundtrip Latency performance||32 buffer @ 96kHz = 4.6 ms64 buffer @ 44.1kHz = 7.23 ms||32 buffer @ 96kHz = 3.6 ms64 buffer @ 44.1kHz = 5.8 ms|
|Power||FireWire Bus Power||USB Bus Power (DC power optional)|
|Output Channels||2||4 (Stereo headphone out & L/R speaker outs)|
|Independent Headphone Out||N/A|
|Microphone Preamp Gain||up to 75dB||up to 75dB|
|Line Level Input|
|Metering||LED Segments||Full Color OLED|
|Breakout Cable Design||2 XLR In, 2 1/4″ In, 2 1/4″ Out||2 Combi In, 2 1/4″ Out|
|Maestro Version||Maestro 1||Maestro 2|
|Sum to Mono||N/A|
|Toggle Headphone Source||N/A|
|Core Audio Compatible|
- Computer: Intel Mac 1.5GHz or faster
- Memory: 2 GB RAM minimum, 4 GB recommended
- OS: 10.6.4 or greater
- Connection and Power: USB, powered by any available USB port on the computer (DC power optional)
- EIN: 128dB (un-weighted) @ 60dB, 150Ohm input
- Max input level: +20dBu
- Input impedance: 3KOhm
- Max input level 14 dBu
- Input impedance: >2MOhm
- Max input level (+4dBu ref): +20dBu
- Max input level (-10dBV ref): +6dBV
- Input impedance: 5KOhm
- Freq resp 20 Hz -20Khz: > +/-0.2dB (@44.1Khz)
- Rel. THD + N: -106dB (@ 96Khz)
- Dyn. Range: 114dB (A-weighted)
- Max output level (+4dBu ref): +20dBu
- Max output level (-10dBV ref): +6dBV
- Line output impedance: 90 Ohm
- Max output level headphones: 19dBu
- HPH output impedance 30 Ohm.
- Freq resp 20Hz -20 Khz: > +/- 0.05dB (@44.1Khz)
- Rel. THD+N : -113dB (@96Khz)
- Dyn Range: 123dB (A-weighted)
An Apogee technology first introduced in 1992 on Apogee’s AD-500 converter, Soft Limit can be heard on countless platinum selling records around the world. Once a technology exclusively reserved for Apogee’s most advanced audio converters, Soft Limit is now available in Duet.
This superior analog design prevents the digital clipping that causes distortion by instantaneously rounding off transient peaks before they
hit the analog-to-digital converter. Soft Limit allows several more decibels of apparent level to be recorded while subtly providing an analog-like warmth to the sound.