Using an Apogee device on your Zoom calls and broadcasts is a perfect way to improve the sound quality and performance for your audience. To get the best results out of the Zoom iOS app and your Apogee device, here are some steps and tweaks you can make:
For this example, we will use the Apogee HypeMiC connected to an iPad
- Open Zoom & select the gear icon, then “Meetings Settings”, then scroll down and turn on “Use Original Sound”.
- HypeMiC must be connected before joining a meeting. iOS will not detect it if you connect while already in a meeting.
- Volume must be adjusted “after” joining the meeting (the volume control on Hypemic and the three green/read indicators work very well for this purpose).
- Connect Headphones to the jack on the bottom of HypeMiC for monitoring. Use the volume buttons on the side of your iPad or iPhone to adjust the output level.
- If performing, such as playing a song or making a speech, it is essential that all other participants in the meeting are muted or stay muted. Otherwise if they make noise the Zoom app will shift sound to them & disrupt the performance.
- This means the performer won’t hear the audience reactions during performance. One way to remedy is have breaks such as between songs where audience can un-mute and express their appreciation.
TIP: Have a separate person act as Meeting Host, and manage muting/un-muting and assist in sound checks.
For settings to use with the Zoom app on a Mac or PC, see this doc: https://apogeedigital.com/pdf/Using-Apogee-Mics-Interfaces-with-Zoom-Conferencing.pdf