Symphony I/O MkII in THUNDERBOLT mode
• Download the installer package (www.apogeedigital.com/support/symphony-io-mk-ii) and run the Symphony I/O MkII installer. After connecting unit to Mac and powering up, update the firmware if prompted.
• The Symphony I/O MkII’s parameters can be controlled from the front-panel touchscreen, the Symphony Control app that gets installed in your Applications folder, and the optional Apogee Control hardware remote.
• If your unit has both a Thunderbolt card and a Pro Tools HD option card installed, read the Symphony I/O MkII in PRO TOOLS HD mode section below.
Using 2 units together in Thunderbolt mode:
Make sure you are using the Symphony I/O Release 3.0 (or greater) software/firmware. Multi-unit functionality will not work in older releases. Download the latest installer here: www.apogeedigital.com/support/symphony-io-mk-ii
• Connect a Thunderbolt cable from the Mac to either Thunderbolt port of the unit intended to be the Master Unit A. Using a 2nd cable, connect from the remaining TB port on Unit A, to either of the Unit B’s TB ports.
• Connect a BNC Word Clock cable from the Master unit’s (Unit A) Word Clock output port to the second unit’s (Unit B) Word Clock in port.
Symphony I/O MkII in PRO TOOLS HD mode
• A unit with only a Pro Tools HD option card installed will startup, by default, in Pro Tools HD mode. Parameters will be controlled from Pro Tools HD software and from the Symphony I/O MkII’s front-panel. There is no need to install any Apogee software. The Symphony Control software and optional Apogee Control hardware remote can not be used when a unit is in Pro Tools HD mode.
• When using multiple Symphony I/O MkII units in Pro Tools HD mode, the unit connected to Port 1 of an HD Native PCIe card or HD Native Thunderbolt box will need to have 2 i/o modules installed for the system to function properly.
• If the unit has both a Pro Tools HD option card and a Thunderbolt card installed, go to the Configuration tab of the Settings page on the front-panel and confirm the Audio Interface Mode is set for Pro Tools HD. If the Audio Interface Mode button says Thunderbolt, tap the button and then tap Yes in the dialog to change modes. To go back to Thunderbolt mode, follow these steps again.
Symphony I/O MkII in STANDALONE mode
Make sure you are using the Symphony I/O Release 3.0 (or greater) software/firmware. Standalone functionality will not work in older releases. Download the latest installer here: www.apogeedigital.com/support/symphony-io-mk-ii
• You can use the Symphony I/O MkII as a Standalone converter out of the box without installing any software (keep in mind that you will need to install the software before connecting it to your Mac). When the Symphony I/O MkII is not connected to a Mac, it functions in Standalone mode. Standalone mode is only accessible when the unit is in Thunderbolt mode and disconnected from the Mac.
• You will need to engage the Standalone routing by going to the Configuration tab of the Settings page on the front-panel and tapping the Engage button and making the routing selection(s):