When attempting to use the built-in microphone of your Mac as an input for the Dictation software and the Duet FireWire for output, you must create an Aggregate Device in the Audio MIDI Setup Application and select that Aggregate Device to be your audio device in System Preferences > Sound.
To create an aggregate device and use multiple interfaces simultaneously:
- Open Audio Midi Setup (Located in Applications/Utilities/ on your Mac)
- Click the + from the button left of the window
- Select “Create Aggregate device”
- Double-click the newly created device’s name “Aggregate Device” and rename it if desired
- In the right side of the window, select the devices you wish to aggregate. For example ONE, Built-in Input, Built-in Output.
- For best results, be sure Apogee device is selected as the Master Clock
- In your recording application, select the device name you’ve just created.
- To select this device to be your default for Mac sound, Right click (or control click) the device in Audio MIDI Setup and select “Use this device for sound input/output”
- Select the Output speaker channels by clicking “Configure Speakers”, selecting the stereo tab and assigning destinations for left and right channels
- Select “Done” button and you’re all set.