Apogee USB Devices:
If your Apogee interface connects via USB, it will be automatically detected and work as an audio device - even without any Apogee software installed on that Mac OS computer.
However on some of our more complex USB units like ONE, Duet, and Quartet, there are some additional features and functions that are not accessible unless Apogee software is installed. Features such as to be able to change input types and have full functionality (direct monitoring in Maestro, output routing, etc).
Functionality for each product without drivers installed are listed below:
Jam+, Mic+, HypeMic - All units require no drivers installed. All input and output settings can be adjusted on the unit directly, in Mac OS sound settings, and in recording applications.
One for Mac / One for iPad and Mac / One (original) - Yes, can be used without drivers installed.
- Input type can be adjusted in System Preferences > Sound > Input
- Input gain and output can be adjusted with the main knob
- All One models are bus-powered by a USB connection only to Mac OS devices.
Duet 2 USB / Duet for iPad and Mac - Limited functionality without drivers installed.
- Cannot change input type (Mic, Instrument, Line) without driver installed
- Default input type and outputs can be controlled with the gain knob only
- All Duet USB models are bus-powered by a USB connection only to Mac OS devices.
Quartet - Yes, can be used without drivers installed.
- Input type can be selected on unit by pressing and holding on the input touchpad number for 2-3 seconds until the input section menu appears on the LED display (see this VIDEO)
- Input gain and outputs can be controlled with the gain knob
- Requires USB and power supply connection.
Symphony Desktop - No functionality currently. Requires driver installed and USB connection to a Mac with current 1.1 driver.
Apogee Thunderbolt Devices:
For Thunderbolt Apogee Interfaces (Element series & Ensemble Thunderbolt) drivers are required to be installed for audio functionality.
Element 24/46/88 - Driver required to be installed for any functionality. No standalone mode, all units require a thunderbolt connection to a Mac OS device.
Ensemble Thunderbolt - Driver required to be installed for functionality with macOS. Has standalone mode, however features not available from the front panel can only be changed via the Mac Control software.
Symphony MK II Thunderbolt - Yes, can be used without drivers installed in Standalone Mode only. Driver required to be installed for functionality with macOS.